What to do in the event you see a snake
- Don’t panic!! When you see a snake remember it is likely it has seen you too. In the majority of cases snakes will retreat to nearby cover but on occasion will lay still in hope you will go away. A snake will not make a deliberate motion towards you unless provoked.
- Keep a sharp eye on the snake. If you feel you may want the snake identified or further assistance, call for someone to grab your digital camera or the telephone. Fast moving species such as Common Tree Snakes or Eastern Brown Snakes usually head for cover if you leave the area. For identification of snakes in our region go to our snake id web page. Snake Identification and Information.
- Keep pets and people well away from the snake. The more interaction the snake has the more intimidated it will become. 95% OF SNAKE BITES OCCUR WHEN PEOPLE TRY TO CATCH OR KILL SNAKES. Don’t knowingly place yourself or those around you into the highest risk category. No snake left alone is dangerous. Allow a specialist to solve the problem for you if you feel relocation is required.
- If the snake is inside your home/workplace it is paramount you keep a constant watch until your snake catcher arrives. Snake catchers are not magicians and snakes are exceptional at exiting an area undetected. A general search in most cases will not turn up your snake. If you cannot manage this then a damp towel jammed under the closed door will assist to keep the snake enclosed. Be sure to push the towel in with an implement to minimise the option of escape. Remember that snakes can hide in inaccessible places even in a single room and capture cannot be guaranteed if you don’t know where the snake is. Nothing replaces a constant watchful eye.
- Snakes outside are generally temporary visitors that will leave your premises if left alone. With a little patience from yourself you will find the snake will vacate of its own accord. Remember that your snake has probably lived its entire life in suburban backyards without incident so why should this change just because you have seen it.
Australian snakes identification (Snake ID)
For our snake identification service simply click the button below to go to our photo ID upload page. We provide our Australian snake identification service free of charge and always welcome high quality images for potential inclusion on our website. This service is not just for Queensland snake identification but for all snake id across Australia.